I recently passed the Veeam VMCE exam. I must confess it took me three attempts, but finally got a 89%. Just a couple of questions could make you walk on a red carpet or burn in hell, so please do not discourage. Veeam is not a Backup tool anymore. You’ll have to face a very large suite that covers many aspects not only Backup stuff but also Recovery, Replication, Disaster Recovery, Storage Appliances, Networking components, Verification procedures, Monitoring, Reporting, Federation, etc. That’s why you’ll learn about Veeam as whole global Availability Suite.
I think I made a lot of research for passing the exam. Normally, you can share your thoughts with some colleagues and even take some advice from them to guide you during this process but I was alone, none of my colleagues ever went through VMCE before. So I thought that might be worth sharing for all of you who are intended to get the VMCE. This is what I used and would suggest:
- I assume you attended the official Veeam VMCE training, so the Text Book is a must. Read it thoroughly twice or more and make your own notes creating your own summary. Keep special attention on each phrase and always remember those with the background in dark color mostly at the end of every section.
- Veeam Webinars were useful for me, as recently they have posted new ones. https://www.veeam.com/es/webinars.html. They are nice to test your knowledge. The more you are able to understand them, the better for you and your chances to pass it.
- Veeam Best Practices Document is also a must for reading after studying. https://bp.veeam.expert/ and after passing your exam.
- If you have access to the Veeam Partner Portal, go for the Veeam Technical Sales Professional VMTSP certification which surely help to make your knowledge stronger.
- Test yourself on Veeam University with a test exam at https://veeam.university/vmce/practice
- Do no trust every example test you might find on the internet. Always make your own research to ensure the right answer.
- Expand your learning reading on the Veeam Help Center. https://www.veeam.com/es/documentation-guides-datasheets.html
- Topics always asked and Key Concepts are the following:
- All related to available editions and their feature limitations.
- All related to Veeam Explorers.
- Matching Definitions. On Text Book you’ll find green tables with them.
- All concerning a SureBackup and SureReplica.
- Offsite backups and all related with Backup Copy Job.
- All related to Failover and Failback.
- About Transport Modes.
- Of course those questions about the different Backup Methods.
That’s all so far, now good luck, may the force be with you, or as green is the color for Veeam, You should say :
“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil’s might
Beware my power–Veeam Lantern’s light!”
By for now.